Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Little Things

So about a month and a half ago, I found that that my time here in Bolivia could very well be cut short. As some of you know my VISA process is a living nightmare, while at the same time being quite costly. Who would have thought that living in a foreign country for a year without a steady income would cause problems to arise? Obviously, not me. I was so focused on getting here to Bolivia and making sure I just had enough money just for a plane ticket, that I didn't exactly think about the long term a whole lot, and I couldn't have anticipated the hoops that i'm having to jump through for my VISA. Anyways, after finding out that there IS NOT an easy, less expensive way around this whole VISA thing, I have had to accept the fact that my time here in Bolivia could very well be cut short. This has been a great test of strength and willpower for me, and has actually been a blessing in disguise (to some extent).


I have had to remind myself that everyday is such a blessing just to be here, and I can't forget that. I am here, now, and that's what counts. It took me sooooooo long to get here (even though I always knew I would make it somehow) that now I need to appreciate and embrace every...single...moment. Even when i 'm at my wits end with the girls, ready to break down, I have learned to just take a second to myself, say a prayer and then let it go cause I don't have time to feel sorry for myself, there are 120 girls that need way more love and care than I do. So as a wise Sister Gloria told me, "Just think that if you might not be able to be there as long as you desired, do now with greater love, so that what you could have accomplished in duration you do it now in concentration." This has kind of summed up my new mentality which is to LOVE LOTS!!!! and embrace what makes this time all worthwhile, the small things. 




My Little Ones
It's official, i'm in love. My little ones are the best gift that I could have been given coming here. Two months in i'm discovering all of their idiosyncrasies and habits and being able to embrace them and inspire confidence. I now know can recognize the times that I need to stop and give them a hug, when they need to take a nap, and when I really just need to take a moment to play with them. I love them so much.




Sor Marinita
Sor Marina, (add the -ita since she's the cutest thing ever) she's gotta be one of the most adorable little old ladies/nuns in Bolivia. (VIDES Volunteers-she's the equivalent of Sister Mary in Austin). She's an 85 year-old Sister whose work ethic is the perfect example of the Salesian Sisters. She's always on the go, and always working on something that has to do with perfecting something to the minute detail. She arrived here just a few weeks after I got here, and I really enjoy talking to her, although I really can't understand what she is saying most of the time, but it doesn't matter cause we both just smile and laugh. One night, while all the Sisters and Volunteers were having a goodbye dinner and sharing songs for some other volunteers, she asked Thea and I if we knew Edelweiss, and then we were like, "Ya!!!" (Thea's cool like that) and then Sor Marinita joined in and sang it better than the both of us ever could. But then again why wouldn't it make sense for a nun to love The Sound of Music?? So Sor Marina is amazing. And now, because of her Thea and I are singing Sound of Music songs all day, everyday. AND to top it off the Volunteers are going to sing Edelweiss for Mother Superior whose visiting for a few days. So awesome. Praise the Lord for Sor Marina.




My Sleeping Beauties
My little ones are required to take naps in the afternoon (by me of course) and when they have finally given up the fight and passed out, they are the most beautiful sleeping kids ever. I know i'm probably a little biased, because i'm guessing this is very similar to how every mother/motherly figure feels about her little ones, but they really are just amazing.








The Bolivian Countryside
After living in a place like Wenatchee, it's easy to get spoiled with being surrounded by beautiful countryside all the time.  There are many pluses and minuses to living in a big, crazy city of course, but the lack of wildlife is a minus. But, after taking a day trip to a town called Yapacani, about 2 hours outside of Santa Cruz, to meet other American volunteers working with the Salesians in Bolivia, and after getting the see the beautiful Bolivian countryside, and the beautiful mountains, and no big deal, the ANDES Mountains, I feel a little less homesick.


The Micro
Man, talk about mad skills, these guys put the bus drivers in the U.S. to shame. Not only to they pick up or drop off anyone anywhere they want which is stopping and going literally every 15 seconds, they also are taking money (without being able to look behind them), calculate the change, drive a stick shift and on top of all of this, drive in Bolivian traffic...on Bolivian roads. Man, i'm impressed.

More...


1. The stars here are so amazing, I love being able to see them from a completely different point of view. 
2. The little kids at the little one's Kindergarden. Not only are all the kids adorable, they are so hilarious. They play the funniest games and when it comes to curiosity they have no problem coming up to me and staring and asking all sorts of questions, like "Why are you white?"
3. The abbreviation for all things Bolivian, is BS. The currency, Bolivianos,  BS. The bank, BancoSol, BS. My name, Becca Steichen, BS. It's everywhere and I love it. 
4. At anytime during the day, you can hear music, it surrounds me all the day. A positive to living in a city.
5. There is no such thing as road rage here, even in the most absurd traffic imaginable, everyone is soooooo chill. It's like this unspoken Bolivian rule of respect and it's a nice alternative to American traffic. 
6. Finally learning all the words to the Our Father and Hail Mary in Spanish.
7. Sharing the road with cows daily, literally. 


8. My spiritual health is at an all time high.
9. The taxi driver on the way to Yapacani ate his WHOLE sucker without biting it once, even when he got to the gum! Too bad I didn't count how many licks it took!
10. Getting bedtime blessings from the girls every night, especially my little ones.
11. The fact that the girls still get excited to see met, I haven't gotten old yet!
And the list goes on...here are some of my favorite quotes to get me through the tough times.


"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is as gentle as true strength." -St. Francis de Sales


"As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do that same."
-Nelson Mandela


"If you have come to help me, you're wasting your time, but if you have come because you realize that your liberation is tied to mine, let us work together."-Lill Watson


"When your heart speaks, take good notes." -Susan Campbell


And my favorite one, that my Nana and Bompa gave to me right before I came down here:


Peace of Soul by St. Francis de Sales
"Do not agitate yourself over anything; do all things with tranquillity and in a spirit of repose. Do not lose the peace of your soul even if everything should be turned upside down; for what are the things of this life compared to interior peace? Our Lord loves you; He would have you all His, that nothing may come between. Forget all the rest, troubling yourself about nothing."




P.S. Happy Belated Birthday to my Uncle John! Although it's taken me about a week to finish this, I started writing this again because you inspired me not to procrastinate anymore. So I hope you were able to get your fence posts up. :)

5 comments:

  1. sorry the visa process is being so stinky! but you have such a great perspective about it! whether you end up there a year or not it sounds like its become an extra motivation for you to love love love - and that is so wonderful.
    your sleeping little girls are so precious, and i think you're right, you're getting a peek into motherhood. so few things are better than watching your babies sleep.
    i love that you're finding so many things to appreciate about where you are.
    keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also love how there's no road rage.. we could definitely learn from the BSians ? haha. the kids sound so amazing. i am so happy you are adapting so well.

    i can so relate to your VISA problems. when trying to go back to india i was turned down and told i have to wait 2 months before going back o and i can't stay longer than 6 months so i can forget about trying to stay later than may 31! :( How inspiring it was to read your optimistic reaction to it all though. i will definitely be writing the following in my journal and taking it to heart-- "I have had to remind myself that everyday is such a blessing just to be here, and I can't forget that. I am here, now, and that's what counts. It took me sooooooo long to get here (even though I always knew I would make it somehow) that now I need to appreciate and embrace every...single...moment." I may only have 1 more month in India but I'll take what I can get!

    And of course Sister Gloria and her wise advice as well be written down. Gotta love her!

    I love and miss you. My prayers are headed your way- that you continue to remain healthy and bringing confidence to those kids lives. Also for your VISA issues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thank you guys both for your awesome comments!!! It's really your guy's thoughts and comments that make writing this thing all worth while. So i'll keep posting, if you guys keep reading :)

    Em. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so sorry to hear about your VISA problems too but it sounds like you're still going to be able to make it back for a little bit? And if that's the case, I know I don't need to tell you this, but embrace it all while you can!! One day with these kids is better than none :) You're in my prayers as well!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I realize this coming a tad bit late (ha), but please tell me a video exists of said singing of Endelweiss (which I'm currently listening to). It would make my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is! And I will be so happy to find that for you. :)

    ReplyDelete