Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bienvenidos a Bolivia!

I am in Bolivia! I made it here in one piece after 20 hours of traveling. My first huge hurdle though was just making it through Seatac, which some of you will know is a miracle in and of itself. My passport arrived to a Tacoma post office at 6 AM in the morning, after not knowing when or where it was going to arrive exactly, and....my flight leaving at 8 45 AM. Could it have been any more last minute? I think not. My Mom and Jenn will vouch for that. It's a long and arduous story of what we had to go through to get my passport back from the Bolivian consulate but for now I'll just say that ultimately, the fact that it came through so miraculously is just another sign that I am truly supposed to be here.


I really can't believe i'm here finally, it's so surreal being in this foreign place, completely the opposite of everything that i'm used to; the climate, the language, the traffic, etc. Speaking of traffic, just like other infamous cities, Santa Cruz is no different, the driving is insane! The kind of driving you have seen portrayed in movies or on TV, but it's completely real. Go as fast as you want, change lanes whenever you want, well actually there aren't really any lanes, just cars weaving in and out of each other. I'm amazed we different see a crash the whole way back to the Hogar from the airport. 


Once I arrived I got shown around a little bit by Thea, a volunteer that I went to formation training with in Austin and then went to my room to rest a little. I thought I was hungry so I ate an orange that I brought with me from the states, but it didn't sit well in my stomach, and I got sick, which scared me a little bit but I think it was because I got too hot unpacking in my room. One of the volunteers Gina gave me some tea and I felt much better. It's so hot and humid here that you I don't think i'll ever be dry again, and i'm slowly forgetting what it feels like to be dry. 


Sor Ines, La Directora de Casa Main, told me to rest up (descansa mucho) on Tuesday and Wednesday because I start work on Thursday (which is today). I was finding it really hard to do considering that it was probably 90 degrees in my room and sunny and beautiful outside and there's construction repairs going on right below me, but I decided to stay inside and try to rest anyways because I know this will be my only chance to do so, before I get thrown into work. 


I am continuing to meet a lot of the girls and trying to remember their names, so far I can probably remember 10 names after being introduced to 100. They get a little frustrated when they quiz me and I say I already forgot but they forgive me, thank goodness. The girls are treating me very kindly, which is nice, and they are so full of love and aren't afraid to show it, it's very refreshing. I love it, and I love them already. 


The grounds here are beautiful but the mosquitos are hell; there's no escaping them. Today, Thursday, I start work officially, and so far so good. I'll write more about my routine later, but throughout the day i'm in charge of three little girls named Nataly, Carlita and Alejandra. I'll tell you all about them later because it would take a whole post to describe them. For now, that's all I can think of but with everyday there is something new to write about, it's just a matter of finding time and energy; considering this post took me 3 days to write. :) I love you all. Pray for me! 


Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment